Throughout the past five years, the Travel Talks campaign has hosted nearly 200 high-level discussions with legislators from coast to coast. In 2018 alone, the travel community conducted nearly 30 roundtable discussions and back-of-house tours with lawmakers from across the country, successfully growing our bench of travel champions in Congress.
You have a story to tell about travel’s role in the community and the economy. Travel Talks sets the stage for you to use your communication skills, business savvy, networking prowess, and connections to advocate to elected officials on behalf of travel. Make it a priority to meet face to face with policymakers and urge them to craft common-sense, bipartisan solutions to grow the travel industry and local economies across the U.S.
We need YOUR help to maintain the drumbeat with Congress. Check out our guide below to learn how you can get involved in the Travel Talks campaign. Email us if you are interested in partnering on an event.
1. Develop a strategy for turning your legislators into travel champions in the 116th Congress. Use the toolkit at right to help you build a winning strategy.
2. Invite your elected official to participate in a back-of-house tour in your community, such as at your convention center during a big conference, a unique local venue, at your local airport, or at a busy hotel property.
3. Host a travel roundtable event with your policymaker by bringing together local travel leaders to discuss issues impacting the industry.
4. Highlight the positive ways that your legislators are supporting travel in both traditional and social media. Put a spotlight on your Travel Talks event!
5. Continue to follow-up with your policymakers throughout the year to build a lasting relationship that will pay dividends for travel for years to come.
We want to know how you ‘talk travel’ with your Congressional delegation. Send updates to [email protected]